Stanwell Nursery School was established in 1936 and was originally sited in the domestic science block of Bonnington Primary School, where it remained for 40 years.
In 1973 Stanwell Nursery was relocated to its present site, in the historic Dr Bells School. It consists of two large classrooms with access to attractive outdoor garden spaces at the front and rear of the building, and a multi-purpose room incorporating a parents’ area.
There are places for 120 children. The school has a very good reputation in the local community and the roll reflects the ethnic and social diversity of the area it serves. The majority of children are from the Leith area and move on to a large number of primary schools both within the immediate area and in other parts of the city. Approximately 50% of the children and their families are bilingual, or have English as an additional language.